I hope you all had an amazing weekend! We spent the weekend relaxing at home, and we even took a trip out to the beach on Sunday. It was so nice to get out and enjoy the sunshine. The kids had an absolute blast! Both kids got buried in the sand, and we spent half the day in the water. Brylee could not get enough of being in the ocean. Hayden is already asking to go again!
We don’t get out to the beach often, because it’s sort of a lot of work to pack all our stuff up and drive 45 minutes to the beach. Today, I am sharing a few tips we tried to make visiting the beach easier.
Five Tips for Easier Beach Days With Kids
- Pack light– You don’t have to take every beach toy you own. The kids were just as happy with a small bag of toys even though we have a huge storage container full in the garage.
- Park near the restrooms– The beaches without public restrooms are less crowded, but nothing beat the convenience of being close to the potty when the kids need it. Public restrooms at the beach can be a little icky, so bring your hand sanitizer.
- Pack snacks– Eat before you go, and pack a few snacks and drinks in a lunch box instead of a huge cooler full of food and drinks.
- Apply sunscreen before you leave home– It’s a lot easier to apply your sunscreen in the comfort of your home, and it needs time to soak into your skin for proper protection. Just make sure to take it with you so you can reapply.
- Leave the chairs at home– Most beaches with hotels have places where you can rent chairs and umbrellas. That’s exactly what we did! The hotel we picked was right next to the pier and public bathrooms. Bonus tip: the beach directly in front of hotels is typically less crowded than the beach at public access points.
Last Memorial Day weekend we went to the beach for the day, and we took two chairs, a blanket, an umbrella, two huge bags, and a cooler. PLUS we had to carry Brylee, because she was just starting to walk. This year, we took two bags and a lunch box. Renting chairs and an umbrella is a game changer! I can’t believe we didn’t think of it sooner!
I hope you all had an amazing weekend celebrating our freedom! We can’t truly appreciate this day without thanking the brave men and women that have sacrificed for us to be able to enjoy this sweet freedom!
I’d love to hear your best tips for taking your kids to the beach!